Sailing Canoes of Papua New Guinea









The highlight of the 1978 Hiri Moale festival held in Port Moresby was undoubtedly the great canoe race. More than 90 canoes with almost 750 crew lined up along Moresby's harbor beach .
The rules limited the the sail area to 280 sq feet, but the canoes ranged from 28 to 42 foot in length.
The wind was strong and many competitors reached speeds close to 20 knots.
The shunting rigs have Western style rectangular boomless sprit sails. The mast can be tilted fore and aft for trim on any given course.

The photos were scanned from Air Niugini's flight magazine.


Comments

  1. David from AdelaideMarch 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

    Gary thanks for these great photos. I remember my dad flying to New Guinea in the late 70s and bringing back the in-flight magazine. I was captivated by these amazing sailing craft, even though I had never sailed before. I would spend many hours drawing these boats during boring school lessons. It was more than 10 years before I moved to the country and joined a sailing club. I learnt to sail in monohull dinghies and completely forgot about proas. These pics have rekindled an intrest in Pacific outriggers.
    Thanks for your book by the way, its been a great read and I hope to order some plans soon (if only I could decide which plans!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, my father had one of these 40 footers built, and raced successfully here and in other events from about 1978-1987. I would like to generate more interest in these craft, they provide an exciting spectacle as well as throw up some challenges for builders and racers. In recent times glass and carbon fibre have become the material of choice for the hulls, as well as modern lightweight sails and rigging. I am building a 18ft plywood on frame version as my own tribute to these craft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any photos of my canoe "Kiwi"?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment